Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Torrey's Topical Textbook --Parents (Part 1)

I recently read this in my bible study and found it very edifying and convicting at the same time. I thought that maybe I would share and maybe God's word would edify or convict you in some of these areas as well.

·       RECEIVE THEIR CHILDREN FROM GOD
      • Genesis 33:5 And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said, Who are those with thee? And he said, The children which God hath graciously given thy servant.
      • 1 Samuel 1:27 For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of   him:
      • Psalms 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
·       THEIR DUTY TO THEIR CHILDREN IS
o   To love them.
      • Titus 2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
o   To bring them to Christ.
      • Matthew 19:13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.
o   To train them up for God
      • Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
      • Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
    • To instruct them in God's word.
      • Deuteronomy 4:9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;
      • Deuteronomy 11:19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
      • Isaiah 38:19 The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth.
o   To tell them of God's judgments.
      • Joel 1:3 Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation.
o   To tell them of the miraculous works of God.
      • Exodus 10:2 And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know how that I am the LORD.
      • Psalms 78:4 We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
o   To command them to obey God.
      • Deuteronomy 32:46 And he said unto them, Set your hearts unto all the words which I testify among you this day, which ye shall command your children to observe to do, all the words of this law.
      • 1 Chronicles 28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever. 

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower :-)

    I invite you to visit my blog and follow me :-)

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete